"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Baby Food: Mango Puree

This is a Mango.

 It is the National Fruit of India.

And it is packed with tons of Vitamins, one of which, is Vitamin C.
And did you know that fruits and veggies packed with Vitamin C help your baby absorb more Iron?
And since iron intake is such a biggie for young ones, Mango is a great fruit to serve when you are serving an iron rich meal like red meat!



Of course, as the color would suggest, it is high in beta-carotene. So, that means it is a good immune booster and helps to prevent dieases like cancer - in particular, I read somewhere that it helps prevent colon cancer.


Mango's, at least for me, can be a pain to cut up. I think I need to invest in a Mango Dicer :) After all the health benefits I read up on, associated with Mango, I will be serving it more often for all of us!

After I have peeled and diced the Mango, I steam it for 7 minutes or so.

Then, into the mini food processor it goes! I puree it there until it is nice and smooth.
 

For this particular batch, since it wasn't the first time my Babe had Mango, I mixed it with Banana.
Banana turns a dark, uglish color fairly quickly, so the jars that weren't being used within 24 hours went into the freezer.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Yum! Oh what a lucky baby; so nutritious and healthy that his mama makes wonderful food for him!

Unknown said...

oh I totally thought of you today, I saw that the have a baby food processor that is like the magic bullet called the baby bullet and its so cute.

Veggie PAK said...

Great recipe for my grandbabies food! Thanks!