"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Apple Harvest Party, Wk 2 & Apple Pie Cake


Welcome to Week 2 of the 'Apple Harvest Party'! Yahoooo!
Share with us, by linking up below, something you do with apples (or pears, or quince!). It doesn't have to be a cooking recipe, it just has to include apples (or pears, or quince!).

Here is Mr. Linky -- Read below for my recipe this week.

---
Apple Pie Cakes...ala mode!
Delightfully Borrowed and Slightly Adapted
from Jessica at How Sweets Eats

So, I got a tad behind when I got home from work today. I had grand plans to make an apple dish I discovered in an Apple Cook Book I received from a friend. Well, the new [Amish] farrier showed up in his buggy to trim hooves, the babe needed a bath, and something needed to be cooked for dinner - so, the intended reciped didn't get made! But, I recalled seeing today, at How Sweet Eats, an apple recipe that sounded delish...and easy to whip up. So I did! With just a few alterations.


Jessica does a brown sugar strusel type of topping, but I just grabbed some homemade granola I had staring at me from the counter. Oh yeah, and I drizzled some fresh maple syrup over it too - right after it came out of the oven!


Jessica's recipe calls for Greek yogurt, but I didn't have that on hand. Just regualr, plain yogurt. So I used that. And it still tasted super!

And then I did what hubby and I seem to do with almost every dessert we eat. I added a scoop (or two) of ice cream :) Amen!

Enjoy & Thank you Jessica for the recipe!
I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has to share this week :)

----
RECIPE:

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch each of nutmeg, ground ginger, & ground cardamom
1 medium apple, peeled and diced into cubes
---
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and yogurt and stir. Mix dry ingredients together and add to batter, only mixing until just combined. Fold in apple chunks.

Spray 2 ramekins {I used the 6 ounce, 3 1/2 inch} with non-stick spray and pour batter into them equally. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

At this point, I dropped on some homemade granola and drizzled on some maple syrup. Or, try Jessica's original recipe with a streusel topping!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh goodness...I can just smell the aroma of this apple cake all the way here. What a wonderful Fall dessert that I know my family will love this. XOXO

Quay Po Cooks said...

I am sure it taste heavenly with maple syrup!

~TastyTravels~ said...

Yummy!!

Rachel said...

Hi Allison, those all look great! I don't think I did it right...I linked to a past post about how I ate apples with lemons while pregnant. Sorry it wasn't more innovative, ha ha! Hopefully soon this little girl will let me have more time for making things!