"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Remodeling...the Barn!

I don't know. Would I call this an addition? A 'remodel'? Why does it have to be so fancy. I'll just call it what it is - 'Adding More Windows'!

It is no secret we have been having a heat wave I don't think I have ever felt yet in my life. It's hitting over 100* with the heat index. It is sticky and suffocating outside. GAG!

While I hate air conditioning, it is days like these that I don't mind stepping into an AC cooled house. My horses though, the poor babies, do not have that luxury. They have a fan, but at this point, all it is doing is blowing hot, suffocating air around. Again - GAG.

Luckily, the barn the mini's are in is positioned just right and it manages to stay fairly decent even during this sorching heat. The barn the 'big' horses are in - not so much. So, hubby started making more windows for them. Bear with me. These pictures probably all look the same to you, but it is so exciting for me :)


This picture is standing in the entrance of the barn. You can't really see the second window here but look how nice and big and open :)


These new windows face East and also face the barn the minis are in. That shaded, grassy patch you see in the background is soon to be the mini's own pasture.

Look! Hubby is in Gypsy's stall and I am standing in Romeo's taking the photo! Now Gypsy will be able to see the rest of her herd :)

Ahhhhhhh - it just feels cooler looking at these new holes in the wall!


Hubby will be framing them in and then making them so that we can close them up in bad weather - but honestly, it has to be really bad for me to close up the barn. Horses live outdoors - the more fresh air, the better. Yes, this means even 20* weather!

I am standing in the corner of Apollo's stall here looking out to the new windows!

And again, in another corner of Apollo's stall looking out. These windows make the barn so much more breezy, open and just nice! Ok, can you believe how excited I am about holes in the wall :) I'll stop now. But I will just add one more thing - the horses are excited too. When we walked them in from the pasture last night, they each had to stop in the aisle and stick their head out the new windows, checking out the new view!

5 comments:

Jill said...

What a difference it makes! I am sure the horses are lovin' it!

Sue from Ky. said...

What a neat barn! I'd be tempted to make it into my getaway/crafting shed if it were mind.

Anonymous said...

Very cool way to them, we'll, cooler! LoL! =) I imagine they appreciate it
I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link this post to Barn Charm so that others who have linked up can check it out, too. Thanks so much =)

katiegirl said...

Looks great!!

Carole said...

Once our barn is completely remodeled (with metal siding) we're going to add windows. Not only for light, but air.

Nice barn you have. :-)

NoteworthyMusings