"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, July 7, 2011

Herbs: Outside the Box


My herb garden is doing fairly well - for me, at least! I try to incorporate them in my meals, but...sometimes I forget, Hubby doesn't care for too many herbs and there is more than I can cook with anyways!


I need to remember to dry them for over winter use!


So, in an effot to use more of my herbs, I have been reading/'researching' different ways that I can use them outside of a culinary means!


I have a recipe for Sage in a hair rinse.


I read that if you crush Lemon Balm leaves in your hands and then rub over your arms & legs it works as a bug repellant. I *must* try this one!


I also have a recipe for a Thyme & Rosemary hair rinse.


I made up a facial toner with Parsley; steep 1/4 C of chopped Parsley in 1 C of hot water. Let it stand and come to room temperature. Then strain the water into a bottle, add a tad of lemon juice and, ta-da! An all natural facial toner!

Hubby thinks I am a crazy hippie. I think I am just trying to be green, use what I have, be nautral, love Patchoulli.......ok, nevermind ;)


How do you use your herbs, outside of culinary means? Any good recipes you care to share?


2 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, I love your herb garden. I have to start one! I have such a tough time keeping them alive!

Rachel said...

I have used dill in flower bouquets in the house, and not only does it look pretty, it adds an interesting "pickle-y" smell to the room. Not an overpowering or unpleasant pickle smell though! :)