"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day 2011


Today is Earth Day!

What types of things are you doing to uphold the 5 R's?


Some things I have done recently were to 'Recycle' or 'Reuse' aluminum cans and plastic jugs to reuse for starting my seedlings in.


I have been trying, as much as I can remember, to 'Reduce' by taking canvas totes to the grocery store with me, in an effort to use less plastic bags. And hey, for the plastic bags I do get, I 'Reuse' those to clean out the litter box ;) I am just being honest!


Hubby 'Reused' the sucker branches he pruned off the apple trees to build some trellis for the garden. He also dried some out to be kindling wood for fires in the fireplace.


And of course, we are working on our gardens for this season and we have some seedlings started. Hubby has been turning his 'black gold' manure piles for our garden compost. He also 'Reused' some old windows to build a cold frame, which he's already planted lettuce in.


We have Lilac bushes on our property and every year around this time, hubby digs up some of the small sprouts to give to family and friends to transplant at their place.

So let's hear your ways of participating in Earth Day and the 5 R's. Share in the comments section and help to inspire others.

And to those who will be observing 'Good Friday' today or the Easter holiday Sunday, if you have a tradition in your family of dying eggs like we do, why not try to dye them naturally? There are tutorials for this here and over here at Adventures in Cooking. I would love to give this a try!!






No comments: