"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Seed Starting & Exchanges

It is hard to think about the gardens when THIS is what it looks like outside. What the HECK; where is all this coming from :/


Alas, our seed order came in and I finally had some time to get some of the seeds started. We are a tad late on some (a'hem, the onions) but better late than never. Among the seeds I started were some of the heirlooms I ordered from Bakers Creek. Anyone else out there order from them?


So, here is my completed task for the day! Of course, minus the seedlings of Leeks & Purple Haze Tomatos you see in the background. Hubby did those awhile ago and I also now realize we didn't quite start the Leeks right, but that is ok.


I did Jupiter Peppers, Cherokee Purple Tomatos, Suttgarter Onions, Ferrys Round Dutch Cabbage and some Cilantro today. The rest of our seeds can be direct sowed once the weather turns.

This was my helper today - a lot of good he was ;)
Anyone looking to trade some seeds?

I am open to any kind of trade as long as it is something we'd eat and don't already have! Among the seeds I have for trade are:


  • Cherokee Purple Tomato

  • Stuttgarter Onion

  • Jupiter Pepper

  • Ferrys Round Dutch Cabbage

  • Carentan Leeks

  • Edamame Seeds

  • Coriander Seeds

  • Deer Tounge Lettuce

  • Fin De Meaux Cucs

  • Ruby Wallace's Old Time White Cucs

  • Parisian Pickling Cucs

  • Golden Wax Beans

  • KY Wonder Pole Beans

  • Atomic Red Carrots

2 comments:

meemsnyc said...

I would love to do a seed exchange. Is there anything you are looking for in particular?

Rachel said...

How fun to start your seeds! I haven't done any veggie planting yet this year. I've got to get going eventually!